On this "painfully special" episode of
Strangers With Candy:
Jerri watches Buddah Stalin take advantage of his right to freely express himself in his latest video, "The United Hates of Ascarica," before she heads off to school. In honor of Freedom Week, Mr. Noblet has invited Minister Arsenew to speak out against freedom of speech. "Who are you going to listen to, the Almighty or one of those foul-mouthed, jew-negro-rican, rock-and-roller, anti-capital-punishment types like that Buddah Stalin character?" Minister Arsenew reminds the class that Jesus spoke freely all the time, but look where it got him. Mr. Jellineck has come up with a freedom-themed assignment. He pairs his students up, gives them cameras, and tells them to create images on the theme of Freedom. -- Student pairings: George and Clinton, Bootsy and Colin, Toni and Susan (aka Orlando) -- Jerri is paired with Arnie Arsenew, the Minister's son, and she decides that their entry will be a nude portrait of herself. The sight of Jerri's nude body brings Arnie to his knees... in disgust, but the camera snaps shot after shot while Jerri writhes to the shrieks and wails of Buddah Stalin: "Diarrhea Milkshake Poo Poo / Wee Wee Posicle Tinkle Soup...". When it comes time to hang the students' creations in the Freedom Cage at school the next day the general reaction isn't much different from Arnie's. Principal Blackman and Minister Arsenew are outraged and order that the photograph be removed from the exhibit. Jellineck convinces Jerri to take a stand for the rights of creative expression for all artists. He talks her into holding a hunger strike within a trophy case. Her hunger strike starts at 12:30pm with supporting members of the student body gathered in the hallway. Principal Blackman, instigated by Noblet, bribes Jellineck into using his influence to get Jerri to end her protest. Onyx tells Geoffrey that he'll buy his leaf collage and hang it in one of the school's corridors. Geoffrey promptly accepts the offer and tries to get Jerri to drop the whole thing, but she won't budge. By 12:56pm Jerri has been tempted to break her fast by the fudge that Principal Blackman has placed before her and she gives in. She decides to give the hunger strike another shot and says that she'll get right back into the trophy case, but everyone is so disappointed in her lack of conviction that the crowd disperses and Jerri officially ends her one-woman stand for Freedom. Jerri is given the remains of her photograph, which has had the lower half torn off so that just her face remains. While sitting in the park beneath a sculpture labeled "Freedom" (which depicts an eagle, struggling to fly, with a ball and chain around its leg) and looking at a composite photo of Buddah Stalin's head on a scorpion's body Jerri is inspired to modify her artistic creation. She sticks her own head on a picture that she tore out of Muff Parade Magazine of a voluptuous woman's nude body. This version of her photo project doesn't seem to be offensive to Blackman and Minister Arsenew, who would like to have a copy (without the face, of course). Jerri has learned that, as Benjamin Franklin Jefferson Grover Washington Jr. once said, "The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of patriots." She roughly translated this to mean that, "the sexier you are the more freedom you deserve."
Episode Title: "Is Freedom Free?"
Original Airdate: 7/17/00
Production Number: 3-02
Directed by: Juan Campanella
Writers: Paul Dinello, Amy Sedaris
Additional Writer: Matt Lappin
Regular Cast: AS, DR, GH, LS, OP, PD, SC
Guest Cast: Dylan Baker (Minister Arsenew), Peter Benson (Buddah Stalin), Ryan Patrick Bachand (Arnie Arsenew), Victor Mastroianni (the "My Eyes" guy)
Sands, Bobby (săndz) n. (1954-1981) activist who undertook a fatal 66-day hunger strike in 1981 to protest the denial of political status for IRA members by the British government
|Additional Episode Information|
· The Buddah Stalin video credits for The United Hates of Ascarica show that the song is on the album entitled "Suck My Freedom" from Doody Records and the video was directed by Juan Campanella (the director of this episode).
· In the scene in the stairwell in which Jellineck gets an idea (and the fluorescent light goes on above his head) the American flag is hanging incorrectly. The blue field of stars is always supposed to be in the upper left corner, even when the flag is being displayed vertically instead of horizontally. Also, if you put a flag in a window you are supposed to hang it so that the people outside will see it correctly. In "Old Habits, New Beginnings" the flag in the gym was hanging vertically and the blue field of stars was in the correct position, so clearly someone in Flatpoint knew the rule at one time.
· Jerri's Benjamin Franklin Jefferson Grover Washington Jr. quote paraphrases the following by Thomas Jefferson: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
· Peter Benson (Buddah Stalin) played Amy's husband in Douglas Carter Beane's "The Country Club";
co-starring Cynthia Nixon ("Sex and the City"), Tom Everett Scott (That Thing You Do), Amy Hohn, Frederick Weller (Stonewall, Take Me Out), and Callie Thorne ("Homicide: Life on the Street").
· Victor Mastroianni was an Associate Producer on Stephen Colbert's other Comedy Central gig, "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart".
On The 'Flatpoint High School' Sign:
· "BE COOL STAY IN SCHOOL -- LEVITICUS 4:12"
· "TODAY'S LUNCH MENU: MEAT
BALLS, CHICKEN BREASTS, STUFFED PORK LOIN"
The Best Things In This Episode:
· When Jerri had an idea a light bulb came on over her head; and a few moments later a fluorescent bulb came on over Jellineck's head when he had an inspiration.
· Minister Arsenew's twisted zeal.
· Mr. Jellineck provides a little eye Candy.
Closing Credits Dance Sequence: Buddah Stalin's ultra-goth video for The United Hates of Ascarica
In the United Hates of Ascarica
They censor my words and it ain't fair-ica
I'll say what I want, I don't care-ica
So welcome to my nightmare-ica
Puppy Dog Pee in a doody stew
Booger souflee in a sea of poo
Doody Doo Doody, Doo Doo
Ca Ca Ca, Pee Pee, Poo Poo
In the United Hates of Ascarica
You try to trap me in a snare-ica
But I've lured you into my lair-ica
Now who's gonna answer your prayer-ica?
Diarrhea Milkshake, Poo Poo
Wee Wee Popsicle, Tinkle Soup
Big and Bouncy Boobies
Doody Doody Doody Doody... Dooodyyy!!!
« Previous Episode -- Next Episode »